Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Viking Ridge in the Off Season

I've hiked up Viking Ridge many times, but always during hiking Season which runs from July until October.  This past weekend, I had the opportunity to go up with my snowshoe/hiking friends who have a once a week Ladies only hike/snowshoe.

As there is still snow up high, we brought our snowshoes.




When we arrived there was no snow on the ground, it was very lush and green!  I loved that we didn't have to put our snowshoes on right away.  In fact, we hiked 2 kilometers in on the trail with an elevation gain before we saw any snow.  Even then, it was hard packed all the way, and we didn't end up using them at all. We were very lucky!




I'd still recommend that you bring snowshoes along just in case the snow is rotten.  We did encounter rotten snow going down, but nothing that required us putting the snowshoes on.

The views up top were spectacular. I found it easier walking through the meadows on the snow then on the wet swamp in the Summer.  And there were no bugs!  My friends asked me if I was up to doing a loop on the ridge, and I said that I was as I had nothing better to do then spend the day out hiking. I was in no rush to go home.
Viking Ridge Meadows




Some mandatory fun!

We ended up walking almost 15 kms, and boy was I ever exhausted at the end.  But, I had the time of my life!  Thanks to my friends Brenda, Debbie, and Peggy, for the great day out at Viking Ridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...