Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Chain installation success!

I took the SRAM chain to the bike shop just to be sure I was correct about shortening it.  They took the links off that I needed.  After thinking about how to weave it through the rear derailleur, I got it threaded on the bike.  I used the powerlinks provided to attach the chain together.   Success!  This is the first time that I've ever changed a chain.  I have been reading reviews at MEC.ca and they say that SRAM chains break easily.  KMC chains seem to be better and are cheaper!  Time will tell.

I had to also adjust the back brakes as one side wasn't moving and was sticking on the back rim.  I found the tiny screw on the side after watching a video about it and loosened one side a little.  The other side started moving!  After adjustment, both brakes  were working great and I took it outside for a ride.

Besides just looking at the like new parts, I could tell by riding that it hardly has been used.  All the gears changed smoothly.  Whew!  Oh, and the chain doesn't seem to freeze and cease to work unlike the Rocky Mtn.  and I will be surprised to get a flat tire as easily.  Better grip for snow too.

Next month, when I save a little bit, I'll get a rear rack and fenders.  Unlike my Rocky Mountain bicycle, it doesn't have bolts on frame for rack support, so it'll need to be clamped to seatpost, but I have read that racks come with that part so it works for all bikes.  And next season I'll get some Schwalbe Ice Spiker tires, perhaps front first as they are expensive.   I've really enjoyed using my time off from work to learn something new!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...