Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Back on the bike!

Leaving Floyd in hallway to dry up
After not riding for a few days last week due to the brutal cold weather, I'm back in the saddle!  I don't think that there's any shame in carpooling for few days when it's -35 windchill outside. I had all the right gear, but I only rode for 2 days.  I almost had an interview with CBC Daybreak about Deep Winter Chill bike riding, but it's hard to do that during work as I'm not near my phone. They do know about me, so I might hear from them in the future.

To any of those who might possibly think that I was crazy riding last week, there's this guy who recently attempted to ride to Tuktoyaktuk in the far North.  He just flew home the other day.  He started in Vancouver last November and believe it or not, he made it as far as Whitehorse!  He was stopped by frostbite on his toes, and a failed wheel rim.  Metal acts weird in really cold temperatures. Apparently he will go back to Whitehorse next Winter and complete the trip.   To Tuktoyaktuk and then returning to Vancouver, all on his bike!  My opinion is that he's crazy and if anything goes wrong, it could kill him.  But that's just my opinion.  I wouldn't want to do it as I would not find it fun at all.

His blog is http://cyclingintothedark.com/

Speaking of touring, I've found a rider for my not so crazy bike tour this Summer. (well, it probably will be 101 F in parts so the heat will be crazy)  Now I don't have to worry!  I just have to eventually book accommodation, airfare, train fare, etc... I like that I don't have to reserve ANY of the camping.  I've been reading other rider's Pacific Coast journals at http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/  I might still join the American Adventure Cycling Organization at one point, but I feel no pressing need at this time.  Some of the journals that I've been reading include Mary's and Larry's Adventure down the Pacific Coast and Cycling the Pacific Coast Highway - Questions & Answers 2009.  There's quite a few journals there.  It really gives me an idea of what to expect on this trip.

I am researching about Ipads...I want to be sure it does what I need it to.  I am worried that I won't be able to post photos on the blog while travelling, but have been reading that there is an app(s) for that.  Wish I could borrow one for a few days and add the apps to try out.  Or I could cheap out and get a netbook, but it doesn't seem as glamorous and it's perhaps slower then an Ipad.   I like the touch screen thingy.  :)

Lastly, I got another bicycle themed postcard from Nolleke:
It reminds me of those carefree days of Summer.  Speaking of postcards and writing, I see that Pedal Talk is into that also!  Writing by hand is so much fun, you should give it a try.

(I have a Snowshoeing post coming up also, I just have to do a write up on it, by tomorrow or Thursday)

1 comment:

  1. I like touring a lot - but in the summer!! I can't believe making it all the way to Whitehorse on a bike this time of year! Even when I tour, though, I ride my folding bike, just in case something goes wrong, whether mechanical or health. I really like the added security of knowing I can just fold it up and put it in a vehicle if I had to.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...