Friday, January 6, 2012

Quick Release Seat Lock


Today I received an awesome bike item in the mail.  It's a Quick-Release Seat Lock by Grove Tools.  The company is based out of Iowa. They proclaim on their website: "Don't lose your seat to an Ass!" It costs about $20 plus postage which I think is a fair price for such an innovative product.

Why did I buy it?  To protect my Brooks Saddle.

When I was bike touring this Summer, my friend who rode with me had a Brooks Saddle.  As he wanted to protect it from being stolen, he had it bolted down,.  One night we stayed at a hostel and as he didn't want to leave it outside all night (someone could unbolt it in the dark), he took it off.  Next day while we were touring, it took him the full day of adjusting to get the seat just 'right' again.   I thought to myself when I got my Brooks saddle, that there has to be a better way to protect the seat.

I googled Seat Lock and came up with this item.  Other pages mentioned padlocking it, or using a cable lock, but that would be a pain!  Basically, I want to be able to leave the seat on, unless I have to leave it outside for the night.  (or take off at bike shop)  This item has the best of both worlds, it makes the seat even safer then just bolting it on, but it comes off as easily as an ordinary quick release!

The original worn-out quick release seat clamp that came with bike.
 I have to admit that it's a bit bigger then I imagined it to be, and it's not quite straight on at this time.  I have to get someone to 'slightly' bend the rack attachment support bar that attaches to the rack braze-ons so that I can put the quick release on straight.  But it's only slightly crooked and doesn't seem to be in the way when I sit on it.  I am not sure how this will work with other racks on bikes...but I only have to adjust the support bar a little.

My old worn out quick release seat clamp.
Size difference between seat clamps

Size Difference between seat clamps

I was so excited to get it today (I ordered it just before Christmas) that I quickly took off the old quick release that was getting worn- the washers on that broke so they weren't on the old one anymore.  I had no problems putting the locking quick release on.  Before I ordered the lock, I measured the seat tube with a hand measure that you can print out at the Grove Tools website.  It turns out though that I didn't to measure it as the diameter was on the seat post bottom!  They have them in Sizes 28, 30, 32, and 35 mm.  Mine is a 32.
 

 The quick release clamp comes with installation instructions and they are also available online with photos.  I found it very easy to install.

As my Rocky Mountain is parked on a indoor trainer, I won't get to test it outside, but I can't wait to see how versatile it is.  It comes with 2 keys so you can put one on your keychain and use the other for backup.  It's a conventional key, so you might even be able to make copies of the key!

What do I think of it?   I love it despite that it's a bit bigger.  Now I can leave the seat on while I go shopping, but when I do need to take it off,  it will be easy!  I think that it would be a good item for anyone who doesn't want to lose their seat and post so easily and hates dragging around their seat/post everywhere while shopping.  If you are interested in this item, you should check out their website at http://saveyourseatlock.com/index.html.

(I paid for this item and am not getting any money from promoting this, I just thought that I'd like to share about it since I think that it's a cool idea)

4 comments:

  1. it should be called seat post saver. it may lock your seat post but you still can just unbolt one or two bolts under the saddle and have yourself a nice brooks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with that. I suppose that even a bolted down seat isn't that safe as they can unscrew that too.

    Around town I do leave the seat on when shopping, but when I'm in a big city like Vancouver (and San Francisco this Summer), I'd definitely be taking it off while I'm gone. But much easier taking a quick release seat/post off then a bolted one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any update? Im thinking of buying this thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found that it didn't quite fit well on my bike, so I ended up just using a clamp without a quick release and take chances that no one will steal the seat. I didn't think it was secure really, as someone could just unscrew it from under the seat.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...