Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Pack-Rat Cargo Trailers- Made in PG


A while back, when I was visiting the local Farmer's Market, there was a  guy doing surveys about Bike trailers.  I've been considering getting one at one point.  I am particularly interested in the Croozer because it converts into a cart to take into the store.  But it weighs 25 pounds, which is a lot when you have to pull it by muscle power.

The guy who did the surveys was going to be making bike trailers locally.  He now has a website where you can order them.  They are about the same price as the Croozer- $200.  But weighing only 9.4 lbs, they are much lighter!  Unlike the Croozer trailer, they don't transform into a cart, or fold up so you can store them without taking much space.  And they are flat bedded so you provide the 'box', ie rubbermaid container, suitcase, etc...  That would make it more flexible.

I guess there are pros and cons to everything.  But I must say the light weight is a big advantage.  The fabric is made of hemp cloth which according to the website is durable and mold resistant.  And the frame is aluminum.  You have a choice of resin wheels or alloy wheels.  I would choose the alloy wheels.

The company is called Pack-Rat Bicycle Cargo Trailers and the website can be found here.  I think it's cool that there is a local company making them, right here in Prince George, and the trailers are reasonably priced.

1 comment:

  1. That looks good. I need something like that, until I can afford a cargo bike.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...